Everything from the pastry to the filling to licking the beaters covered in butter, rum and sugar, this recipe is smashing! With these proportions of rum and butter – how could this tart not be decadent and delicious?
I make this every year and have experimented making smaller pies, but due to the delicacy and shortness of the pastry, this recipe is best as one large tart. Serve it up with ice cream or whipped cream, but is just a good without any adornments.
Christmas Tart Recipe
Icing sugar 75g
Zest of mandarin 1
Egg yolks 2
Rum 1 tsp
Plain flour 250g
For the filling
Apple 1 grated
70g light brown sugar
5 tbsp rum
- Beat together the butter, icing sugar, orange zest, egg yolks and rum.
- Fold in the plain flour.
- Roll out 2/3 of the pastry and line the tart tin with the pastry and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the dates, sultanas and grated apple. Place the mixture on top of the pastry.
- Beat the butter, sugar and rum together and spread over the fruit filling.
- Cover with the remaining pastry in a lattice effect.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 160°C and bake for another 30 minutes or until golden brown.